- Whenever appropriate, governmental powers and responsibilities must be devolved to provincial and metropolitan councils and local authorities which are competent to carry out those responsibilities efficiently and effectively.
- The objectives of the devolution of governmental powers and responsibilities to provincial and metropolitan councils and local authorities are:
- to give powers of local governance to the people and enhance their participation in the exercise of the powers of the State and in making decisions affecting them;
- to promote democratic, effective, transparent, accountable and coherent government of Zimbabwe as a whole;
- to preserve and foster the peace, national unity and indivisibility of Zimbabwe;
- to recognise the right of communities to manage their own affairs and to further their development;
- to ensure the equitable sharing of local and national resources; and
- to transfer responsibilities and resources from the national government in order to establish a sound financial base for each provincial and metropolitan council and local authority.
Add a comment | Like | Dislike